Save the dates for 2019!

Azalea Festival Home Tour 

April 6th & 7th, 2019

 Check out what else is happening during the

2019 Azalea Festival HERE.






The Homes on the 2018 Azalea Festival Home Tour:

  • Daniel-Poisson House 315 S. Front Street (1866) This Queen Anne home was built for Nathaniel Green and his wife Harriet Hartshorn in 1866. After the Daniels, it was owned by the Poisson and related Pickrell families. Today it is the home of Lynne and Charles Boney, Jr.
  • Parker–Saunders House 401 S. Front Street (1844) Built in 1844, this Italianate/Greek Revival hybrid home is famous for Woodrow Wilson having lived there while home from Davidson College. The home was built for John A. Parker, a sign, ship and house painter, and his wife Elizabeth White. It was owned by the Saunders family from 1904 to 1948 and is currently the home of Katherine and Donald Britt. who purchased the home in 1975.
  • Edward Payson Willard House 15 S. 4th Street (1908) This Neoclassical Revival style housewas built for Edward Payson Willard, secretary and general manager of the Willard Bag & Manufacturing Company, and his wife Mary Love West in 1908. The house remained in the Willard family until 1987. It was purchased and renovated by Umbaugh Enterprises, LLC in 2017.
  • Miles Costin House 20 S. Fifth Avenue (1855) A welcoming “come and go porch” leads you to this 1855 home built for Miles Costin and his wife Catherine Letitia Robeson. It was designed by James F. Post, the architect for local museum houses the Bellamy Mansion and the Latimer House. Costin was a wealthy property owner, merchant, planter and Wilmington Town Commissioner. This grand home is characterized by its mansard roof, which was added in 1885. Now owned by Tony and Gary Kirkegaard.
  • May and Eugene Cook House 816 Dock Street (1910) May Henrietta Hall, wife of Eugene Holland Cook, purchased the lot for this Queen Anne home in 1910 and the house was built later that year. Cook was the owner of Wilmington winery Sol Bear & Co. The current owner is Delinda Harrelson and Associates, our presenting sponsor,who has completed a full renovation.
  • Charles O. McNair House 402 N. Seventh Street (1915) Originally erected for Charles O. McNair, a wholesale grocer, this Neoclassical Revival house has been home to two African American physicians, Dr. John S. Perry and Dr. John Kay, as well as to black funeral homes, the Robert H. Scott Funeral Home and the Smith Family Funeral Home. Current owners Harry and Nancy Smith (no relation to the Smith Funeral Home) are renovating and restoring the home with guidance from the Historic Preservation Foundation of NC’s Endangered Properties Program.
  • Bowdoin-Moore House 617 Red Cross Street (1904) This Neoclassical Revival house was built in 1904 for Edward Bowdoin, carpenter and foreman with the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, and his wife Mattie Dilday. It was later owned by Reverend William Moore, pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church, and his wife Clara Hill. Today it is owned by Josh and Adrienne Hodges of Nora Alan Group.
  • Wolf-Webb House 412 N. 14th Street (2006) Behind a beautiful iron gate stands this Mediterranean style retreat. Now the home of artist Katherine Wolf-Webb, it was originally built for John and Cynthia Wallace by John Wallace Construction in 2006. Located in a local historic district, the home underwent the city’s design review process to ensure compatibility with its historic neighborhood.
  • Register-Lawhorne House 1919 Wrightsville Avenue (1919) Constructed amidst the expansion of one of Wilmington’s first suburbs, Carolina Place, this home is a classic Craftsman bungalow, a popular architectural style of the time. It was likely built by Rural Building & Loan Association as a rental property. In 1939, Jeannette King Register purchased the home from Rural Building & Loan. Following Jeannette’s death, it was purchased by Mary B. Lawhorne. The home is now owned by Deborah Kaeser.
  • Soverel House 221 Brookwood (1928) This craftsman style bungalow was built for Ralph Waldo Soverel and his wife Maude Elizabeth Wilson in 1928. Mr. Soverel was a career banker and Mrs. Soverel was a stenographer with the American Molasses Company. The home remained in the family for 59 years. It is owned today by Charlotte Cohen, who purchased the house in 2014.
  • Sutherland House 112 Colonial Drive (1940) This stately colonial was built between 1939 and 1941 for Benjamin Sutherland, Assistant Division Manager of Armour Fertilizer Works, and his wife Lillie Belle Wells. Later, the house was a proposal gift from David Nieves to his then-girlfriend, Lisa, in December of 2016. They were married in the front yard in 2017 and own the home today.






Proceeds from the Azalea Festival Home Tour support Historic Wilmington Foundation and its efforts to preserve and protect the irreplaceable historic resources of Wilmington and the Lower Cape Fear region.