Stop By Our New-to-Us Headquarters!211 Orange Street, William E. Worth House
Historic Wilmington Foundation has been located in a variety of buildings since the organization began. We’ve operated out of the Dudley Mansion; in the basement of the DeRosset house (City Club); and at the manse at St. Andrews (now the Brooklyn Arts Center), just to name a few.
Now, after nine years as tenants of the former caretaker’s cottage in the National Cemetery at 2011 Market Street, we’ve returned to the heart of historic downtown. Thanks in part to an anonymous donation, HWF purchased the William E. Worth House at 211 Orange Street for its headquarters.
Fittingly, 211 Orange is located right behind the Latimer House, where Historic Wilmington Foundation’s story began 50+ years ago as a spin-off of Lower Cape Fear Historical Society. With the William E. Worth House as our headquarters, HWF is perfectly situated to deepen our roots as we grow our branches.
William E. Worth House (1912)
Queen Anne style house built for William Elliott Worth (1850-1923), founder of W.E. Worth & Co., ice manufacturers, secretary-treasurer and general manager of University Oil & Fertilizer Co.; and wife, Nellie Shay (1853-1921), native of Brooklyn, NY. Purchased in 1942 by Herbert Steljes (1879-1952) and wife, Eva Hines (1897-1980), who maintained a boarding house here from 1942 to 1973.
Come visit us!
We’re tickled to be located in historic downtown Wilmington, walking the talk of preservation. Speaking of walking: With our central location, we look forward to seeing more of our community walk through our doors! Our new office allows HWF to be more easily accessible to our members and all those who care about preserving and protecting the historic resources of Wilmington and the Lower Cape Fear region.
Driving to us? Many parking options are available, and all are easy!
- 3rd Street: Free parking is available along 3rd Street.
- 2nd Street: Metered parking can be found along 2nd Street.
- Pay-to-Park Lot & Parking Decks: Visitors can use nearby pay-to-park lots, including those located next to the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center (2nd Street, between Orange & Dock) or across the street from City Club, along with various other lots and decks located downtown.
- HWF: A few parking spaces are available behind our headquarters (spots are limited—first-come, first-serve).
- First Presbyterian Church: Our friendly neighbors at First Presbyterian have been kind enough to provide HWF visitors with access to some spots in their parking lot (3rd Street & Cottage Lane). We’re appreciative of their generosity and encourage our visitors to refrain from utilizing their lot unless all other options are inaccessible.